Council tax reduction for care leavers

You could be eligible for a council tax reduction if you were looked after by a local authority in Scotland, England or Wales.

  • 100% exemption If you're the only adult in the property
  • 25% reduction if you live with another adult who isn't entitled to a reduction

You might qualify for an exemption or reduction even if there are other adults in the property if they are disregarded or exempt for council tax purposes .

You could be eligible if you're between 18 and 25 years old, attended Children's Hearings and were looked after at home, by relatives or in local authority care.

Apply for an exemption or reduction

You will need to provide information on:

  • your council tax account
  • your name and contact details
  • the property you are claiming a reduction for
  • the people who live with you
  • proof that you are a care leaver

The Leaving Care or Aftercare Team from the relevant local authority will be able to provide a letter confirming that you're a care leaver. We can't process an application without this confirmation of eligibility.

What happens next

We'll process the application when we receive the form and letter. We aim to deal with applications within 14 days of receiving all the relevant information.

Your account will be updated and you'll receive an amended bill if you qualify.

We'll write to you if you don't qualify and explain why.

Page last updated: 20/10/2023
email icon print icon