How to report a concern about an adult at risk of harm

Call 030 33 33 3001 and ask for the duty social worker if you or an other adult you know is at risk of harm. Call 999 if it's an emergency.

An adult can be as much at risk from harm as children. Don't keep it to yourself if you're worried or your instincts tell you something isn't right call us,  everything you say will be in the strictest confidence and you don't have to tell us your name if you don't want to.

Let us know, any information about the person and anyone they live with and details of what you saw or heard which worried you.

Contact us

  • Office hours call 030 33 33 3001 and ask for the social work access team or email
  • Out of Hours call - 01387 273660 or email:
  • Police non-emergency line for advice - call 101
  • Police emergency line - call 999 if there is an immediate risk.


Warning signs

You might notice that an adult is:

  • not dressed or eating properly or not getting medical treatment
  • scared, withdrawn or uncomfortable around certain people
  • asked to do things or touched in a way they don't like.
  • being hit, shaken or hurt or has unexplained cuts and bruises
  • giving away money or possessions, confused about their money or is being made to change a will

What we'll do

We have a duty to act on information we receive. We'll look at any concerns, seek more information about the situation and take any appropriate action or offer support.

Page last updated: 12/08/2021
email icon print icon