Second adult rebate

If you live with one or more adults who are on a low income, a second adult rebate can help with your council tax.

If your own income or capital is too high for a council tax reduction you can receive this rebate as the qualifying second adult will be the person assessed, not you.

If you also live with a partner you can claim as long as they are disregarded for council tax.

You can't get both a council tax reduction and a second adult rebate. If you qualify for both you'll get the higher of the two.

A second adult is:

  • someone who isn't your partner
  • 18 years old or over
  • on a low income or receiving certain benefits
  • isn't liable for the council tax with you
  • doesn't pay you any rent

People who are not second adults

Some people are disregarded for council tax purposes and therefore aren't classed as second adults either:

How to apply

Apply using our online council tax reduction form

Apply for a second adult rebate online

What you'll get

If any of the second adults in your home is getting one of the following benefits, you will get a 25% reduction on your council tax:

  • Income Support
  • Pension Credit
  • income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA)
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

If they're not on any of these benefits the reduction is worked out as follows:

  • Total income less than £224 gross per week - 15% reduction
  • Total income between £224 - £291.99 gross per week - 7.5% reduction
  • Total income of £292 or more gross per week - NIL reduction


You can only get a 100% reduction if the second adult qualifies and you are a full time student.

Changes in your circumstances

You should always let us know if your circumstances change for any reason.

Tell us about a change in circumstances

You can also call 030 33 33 3006 or visit one of  our customer service centres .

Page last updated: 15/03/2022
email icon print icon