Help for homeless people
You're entitled to accommodation if you don't have a place to stay.
We can help if you are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless. This includes:
- sleeping rough
- staying with friends or family with no home of your own
- staying in a hostel or bed and breakfast
- living in poor conditions that affect your health
- at risk of violence in your home
- living in overcrowded conditions
- living in a home that is not suitable because of illness or disability
Call 030 33 33 3000 or visit your nearest Housing Options and Homeless office as soon as possible. Staff are available from 9am to 5pm each weekday at:
- High Street, Annan DG12 6AQ
- Queensberry Square, Dumfries DG1 1BF
- Customer Service Centre, Daar Road, Kirkcudbright DG6 4JG
- Ashwood House, Sun Street, Stranraer DG9 7JJ
Help in an emergency
Call 0300 343 1505 if you need more urgent help to find somewhere to stay tonight.
What happens next
We'll interview you to assess your circumstances and options. We try to arrange interviews as soon as possible, especially if you already have nowhere to stay.
It's easier for us to deal with your application if you can supply evidence, such as:
- proof of your identity
- information on your personal circumstances
- details of your income from working, benefits and pensions
- information on your children (or proof you are pregnant)
- documents showing why you're homeless or are at risk
We'll decide if you qualify for accommodation within 28 days but this may be delayed if we don't have all the information we need.
Temporary accommodation is provided in urgent cases. Helpful advice is also available and we can refer you to others who offer support.
We'll refer you to Homes4D&G if we decide you're unintentionally homeless and they'll try to find accommodation for you.
You'll be offered temporary accommodation until somewhere more permanent is found. It's not a problem if you want to stay with friends or family in the meantime.
Depending on your situation you may also find help and support from other services. You can find out who might help you locally by using find my nearest and choosing 'Housing Support Outreach Services'.