Scottish Child Payment
The Scottish Government's Scottish Child Payment helps towards the costs of supporting your family and, as of 14 November 2022, applications are now open for all children under the age of 16. The weekly value of this award will also increase to £25 as of this point.
You may be able to get Scottish Child Payment if the following apply:
- you live in Scotland; and
- you or your partner are the main person looking after a child who's under 16 years old; and
- you or your partner are in receipt of certain benefits or payments, noted below
- Universal Credit
- Child Tax Credit
- Income Support
- Pension Credit
- Working Tax Credit
- Jobseeker's Allowance (Income Based)
- Employment and Support Allowance (Income Related)
It is important that you make your application as soon as possible. If you already receive Scottish Child Payment for a child under 6 but you have older children, you must contact Social Security Scotland to let them know.
How to apply
You can apply online at www.mygov.scot/scottish-child-payment, which should take around 10 to 20 minutes in total.
Before applying, you'll need:
- the dates of birth of any children you have
- your partner's details, if you have a partner
- your bank details, if you have an account
If you cannot apply online, you can apply by calling Social Security Scotland on free on 0800 182 2222.
Please be aware that lines may be busy, due to the number of children and families who are newly eligible for this benefit, therefore it may take longer than normal for calls to be answered.