School Clothing Grants
Clothing Grant Update
Clothing Grant Applications for this academic year 2021 -22, closed on 31 March 2022.
Clothing Grant Applications for academic year 2022-23, starting in August 2022, will be made available here on our web page early June.
The award of clothing grants is to assist with the cost of school clothing for families who are on a qualifying benefit or on a low income.
Free School Meal and Clothing Grants are to assist with the cost of school meals and school clothing for families who are on a qualifying benefit or on a low income.
All pupils in Primary 1-5 are currently eligible for Universal Free School Meals. Registering for Free School Meals can help your school as some Scottish Government funding provided directly to schools is linked to the number of pupils who are entitled to free school meals.
The current award for a School Clothing Grant is £134 per Primary aged child and £150 per Secondary aged child.
You may be eligible for a School Clothing Grant if you have a child who attends a school in Dumfries and Galloway and you receive any of the following benefits:
- Income Support
- Job Seekers Allowance (Income based)
- Employment and Support Allowance (Income based)
- Child Tax Credit on its own, with an income of less than £16,105 (subject to change)
- Both Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit with an income of up to £7,500 (previously £7,330) (subject to change)
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Universal Credit with a monthly earned income of not more than £625 (previously £610)
If you are not in receipt of any of the above benefits and are experiencing hardship due to exceptional circumstances please complete an application at the link below. This will be considered by the Education Authority on a discretionary basis..
Other financial help you may qualify for financial help with school transport .
If you are not in receipt of Council Tax Reduction, you will have to provide up to date information on your financial circumstances to assess your eligibility.
If you have not applied before please go to the link below to do so online:
To report a change in your circumstances please contact:
- Email: Educationbenefits@dumgal.gov.uk
- Phone on: 030 33 33 3000
Clothing grant payments are paid directly to the applicant's bank account. If you do not have a bank account please contact us. Payment's can't be made to Post Office accounts. We won't pay grants to pupils aged 16 (or who turn 16 between 1 March and 30 September) until after the summer holidays. We need the school to confirm attendance.
Free School Uniform Back to School Events & Uniform Donation and Collection Points
Do you have any spare school uniforms and stationery you no longer need and could be used by others? We are looking for donations of all school uniforms, black skirts and trousers which can be worn by both Primary and Secondary school children full details of all of our Donation Points are included in our Poster below.
In additional to our events which are being held during August 2022, we currently have 6 permanent School Uniform Banks in all of the following locations which are open all year for the Donation & Collection of School Uniforms:
- Reuse Recycle, Enterprise House, Fountain Way, Stranraer
- Newton Stewart Initiative Community Shop, Dashwood Square, Newton Stewart
- Dalbeattie Community Inititiave, 71 High Street, Dalbeattie
- Action for Children, Kirkfield, Greystone Avenue, Kelloholm
- Poverty & Inequalities Team Free Uniform Store, Loreburn Hall, Newall Terrace, Dumfries
- Newstart Recycle, Provost Mill, North Queensberry Street, Annan
If you have any queries at all in relation to this Project, please contact Wendy Jesson, Poverty and Inequalities Development Officer on 0788 094 2909 or by e-mail on Wendy.Jesson@dumgal.gov.uk.
Best Start Grant School Age Payment
Now Open for Applications:
The payment provides families in Scotland, who are on a low income to help with the costs of a child starting school. People can apply around the time a child normally starts Primary 1 and if they get certain benefits or tax credits. Applications can be made online at www.mygov.scot/best-start-grant or by contacting the Freephone helpline on 0800 182 2222.
Deadlines do apply.
The helpline is open Monday to Friday from 8am to 6pm.