Parental Involvement and Engagement (PIE)
The Scottish Schools (Parental Involvement Act) 2006 sets out a framework for supporting parental involvement in the education and engagement of their children and the wider school community.
The Education and Learning Directorate supports Parental Involvement and Engagement through:
- Schools engage with parents in several ways to ensure that you are aware of what your child is learning, how they are learning and how you can be included.
- Parent Councils are also representatives for all parents in the school so we would also encourage you to work directly with your Parent Council and School to make the most of opportunities in your school for your family - Search Parent Councils.
- Central Staff have developed support materials by listening to Parents, Parent Councils and community partners who also support the engagement of children, Young People and Parents some of which are shared here - If you are a parent/carer and have any questions about what this means for you and your child's learning you should contact your school in the first instance.
Information for Parents
* Due to COVID-19 we are not promoting parental volunteering in schools at present. However please contact your Headteacher or Parent Council Chair to see how you might support your school in other ways.
Information for Home Education
The following educational resource has been created and developed in partnership with Parents and Children who Home Educate. Please see updated version August 2020.
Visit our page on Home Education for more information.
Have your say
We would like to hear from you on what you are already doing, what works well, what could be better and how you would like to be involved in the future?
You can send any feedback or ideas for future engagement directly to: EducationandLearningParentalInvolvement@dumgal.gov.uk. Please ensure to include either Parent Voice or Open Forums as your email subject.
Parental Involvement - ask us to look again
We're committed to working with parents and carers to support learning. You can ask us to 'look again' if you're unhappy, concerned or have questions about decisions made around your parental involvement.
- Call: 030 33 33 3000
- Email: EducationandLearningParentalInvolvement@dumgal.gov.uk