Employment of children

This page provides supportive information for children, parents/carers and prospective employers about the employment of children under school leaving age.

While Dumfries and Galloway Council do not employ children under school leaving age, we are committed to the protection of children in employment. Dumfries and Galloway Council has byelaws that outline the guidelines and protocols for businesses and organisations that employ children. 

Employment of children

Our Dumfries and Galloway Education Authority Handbook contains advice on the Employment of Pupils on page 23, highlighting the following:

"If your child intends to take up part-time employment you and your child should inform the school and look at the following Scottish Government Guidance on Employment of Children:Introduction - Employment of children: a guide for children - gov.scot (www.gov.scot).

Anyone who employs a young person on a part-time basis (aged between 13 and 16) must obtain a Permit to Undertake Employment. Parents, young people, the school and the employer should complete the Pupil Permit Application Form. Guidance is also provided about the process.

A guide for children

Please see below a guide for children that explains the rules around working:

Pupil Permit Application Form

The Permit Form can be downloaded below, or a copy requested by the pupil from the School Office. The step-by-step process can be found in the Part-time Employment Process and Guidance pdf document. The Permit Form must be completed by the pupil and then signed by parent and proposed employer before returning to the school.

Employers have a special duty to ensure that children's experience in work is safe and healthy, as well as enjoyable and rewarding.

Useful links

Page last updated: 22/03/2024
email icon print icon