Trading standards advice for consumers
We provide consumer protection and regulate local trading. Advice on a range of consumer problems is provided in partnership with Advice Direct Scotland.
The National Consumer Advice Helpline can provide information and advice on a range of consumer issues including:
- faulty goods and services
- buying a used car
- holiday problems
Visit Consumer Advice Scotland
Contact National Consumer Advice Helpline or call 0808 164 6000 if you need more help with a consumer problem.
Our Enforcement Policy explains our approach to regulatory activity. It describes how we deal with businesses and what happens when we find infringements of Trading Standards law.
We aim to offer high quality, value for money services in line with the needs of our customers.
Report a scam or illegal trading
We're particularly interested in receiving information about:
- traders calling on you to offer home improvement services, such as gardening, roofing and driveway work.
- traders who exploit you with over-priced or misdescribed goods or services.
- traders supplying age restricted products, such as tobacco, alcohol, knives or fireworks to those under age.
- illegal money lending activity (loan sharks)
- scam mail such as lottery win letters
- counterfeit (fake) goods
- the sale of non-duty paid cigarettes
You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 030 33 33 3000.
Doorstep crime and no cold calling zones
Trusted Trader scheme
Our Trusted Trader scheme helps you to choose a reputable trader from customer feedback.
We monitor the safety of goods on sale and you can find out about recalled goods.
Your chance for feedback
Customer Service is very important to us. If you have recently been in contact with Trading Standards we are keen to have your feedback on the service, you received. Please take a few minutes to complete our survey.