Fireworks and explosives licence

Businesses that store fireworks and other explosives need to be licensed with us or the Health and Safety Executive.

If you store between 5 and 2000kg (net explosives content) of explosives, including fireworks, you will require a licence from us:

You will need to apply for a licence from the Health and Safety Executive if you are storing more than 2000kg net explosives content.

Fireworks licence

Under these licences you can only sell fireworks:

  • between 15th October and 10th November
  • between 26th December and 31st December
  • Chinese New Year, the first day and the three days immediately preceding it
  • on the day of Diwali and the three days immediately preceding it

If you wish to sell fireworks all year round you will need to contact us about a fireworks annual licence.

Page last updated: 22/03/2023
email icon print icon