Coronavirus (COVID-19) -
Information and advice.

Public entertainment licences

You will need a licence from us if you intend to provide entertainment which members of the public are admitted, even if the event is free.

Free events are most often put on as community events and have a reduced fee.

Apply for a licence

Download and complete the relevant application form. Details of return addresses, fees and supporting documents are included on the forms.

Each licence has a number of conditions that you should read before applying. This includes a condition that you must not be disqualified from holding a licence or have applied for the same licence in the last year.


Any public performance of a film needs a cinema licence:


If you use your premises for the public performance of a play, dance display, singing or theatre act you need a theatre licence:


If you wish to show, demonstrate or perform a hypnotism act in public you need a licence:

Bungee jumping



Fireworks display

Indoor music event or festival

If you hold a music event or festival in a premises that holds 350 people or more you need a licence:

Outdoor music event or festival

Free events

Sunbed and tanning centres

What happens next

There is a minimum consultation period of 28 days before applications are considered. This allows people to submit objections or representations before a decision is made. We'll contact you after this.

Comment on an application

Comments of objection or support must be made in writing within 28 days of the licence notice being given. Information on how to do this will be on the notice.

You'll need to provide:

  • your name, address and contact details
  • the reason for your objection or representation
Page last updated: 24/09/2019
email icon print icon Bookmark and Share