Online Catalogues and Resources
The following catalogues and resources are free to access.
Local history materials including books, photographs and pamphlets
Archive collections and records
Online photograph collection
Contains 15,000 images from around the region.
Crichton Royal Hospital
The Crichton Royal Institution, Dumfries, initially called Crichton Institution for Lunatics, opened on 3 June 1839. It gained its royal title in 1840.
The Wellcome Trust has digitised and made freely available the majority of records relating to the Crichton Royal Hospital including:
- Records relating to the Founding of the Hospital, 1823-1859
- Management, 1839-1972
- Administration, 1858-2008
- Financial Records, 1873-1986
- Patient Records, 1838-c.1999
- Staff Records, 1843-2005
- Recreation and Occupation, 1842-2000
- Photographic Material, 1873-2005
- Prints, Engravings and Drawings, 1892-2002
- Associated Published Material, 1840-2007
Friends of the Archives Dumfries and Galloway have transcribed and indexed historical records including:
- 1851 Census
- Chamberlain Accounts 1793 - 1801
- Dean of Guild Plans for the Burghs of Dumfries
- Lockerbie and Moffat, Jail Books 1714-1810
You can access Ancestry.co.uk free of charge from any of our Customer Service Centres .
Ancestry.co.uk is the world's largest genealogy website where you can search your family tree using birth records, census data, burial records, obituaries and more..
Book a PC for free at any Customer Service Centre or by telephoning 01387 260196.