After a flood

Grants and discounts may be available if your property has been flooded. We also offer advice to get you back to normal as quickly as possible.

Crisis grants

A crisis grant can be awarded to families or individuals on a low income to meet expenses that have arisen as a result of an emergency. Awards can be made for immediate short term living expenses for food and energy costs, as well as essential household items.

Apply for a crisis grant

Help with council tax and housing benefit

You may be entitled to up to 12 months exemption from council tax or we can advise you about changes to your housing benefit if you've had to move to another property because of flooding.

Enquire about benefits

Support for business

Advice and information about insurance, funding help and alternative premises is available after a major flood event. If you haven't heard from one of our advisors and need support please contact us.

  • Call 030 33 33 3000

Business rates discount

You can apply for unoccupied property rates relief if your business premises has been forced to close, you are unable to trade and you have a rating liability. There are no further reductions if you're already in receipt of Small Business Bonus Scheme rates relief.

Apply for Unoccupied Rates Relief

General advice

The Scottish Flood Forum has lots of helpful information about what to do after a flood, contacting insurers, hygiene, getting support and being wary of rogue traders.

Water supply

The quality of the mains drinking water to your premises may have been affected by flooding. Scottish Water will be monitoring the quality of the drinking water but you can contact them if you have any queries or have cause to be concerned.

Page last updated: 07/05/2019
email icon print icon