Domestic noise nuisance
Our Community Safety Team investigates reports of excessive domestic noise. The most serious cases are classed as antisocial behaviour.
Examples of domestic noise might be:
- neighbours playing noisy televisions
- very loud music or regular parties
- DIY tools being used when people are trying to sleep
Report excessive noise
Often a polite word or letter to the person making the noise can work. If not, you can:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call 030 33 33 3000
- Write to Community Safety Team, Carruthers House, English Street, Dumfries, DG1 2HP
You'll need to provide:
- your name, address and contact details
- the name of the person causing the noise and the address of the problem
- details of the type of noise, the pattern and history of the problem
What happens next
We'll contact you for more information and ask you to keep a record of noisy events. Our officers may spend time in your home monitoring the noise levels, up to 3 visits might be made to try and witness the noise.
We can issue a warning notice if we find there is a problem. A fixed penalty notice of £100 will be issued if the warning is ignored.
Sometimes we find the noise levels are not antisocial and can take no further action. You can consider a Civil Action if we're not able to help, you should contact a solicitor for help with this.