Domestic noise nuisance
Our Community Safety Team investigates reports of excessive domestic noise. The most serious cases are classed as antisocial behaviour.
Examples of domestic noise might be:
- neighbours playing noisy televisions
- very loud music or regular parties
- DIY tools being used when people are trying to sleep
Report excessive noise
Often a polite word or letter to the person making the noise can work. If not, you can:
- Call 030 33 33 3000
- Write to Community Safety Team, Carruthers House, English Street, Dumfries, DG1 2HP
You'll need to provide:
- your name, address and contact details
- the name of the person causing the noise and the address of the problem
- details of the type of noise, the pattern and history of the problem
What happens next
We'll contact you for more information and ask you to keep a record of noisy events, it may be that Mediation is appropriate to resolve any noise issues.
Sometimes we find the noise levels are not antisocial and can take no further action. You can consider a Civil Action if we're not able to help, you should contact a solicitor for help with this.
If noise is from a commercial property, please email email@example.com or call 030 33 33 3000 and ask for Environmental Health.