Apply for an occasional licence to sell alcohol
You need an occasional licence if you want to temporarily sell alcohol from unlicensed premises. The sale of alcohol without the appropriate licence is a criminal offence.
An occasional licence is typically required for events such as dances, wedding receptions and beer tents at a larger event such as a gala or music festival. The maximum duration of an occasional licence is 14 days.
You can apply for an occasional licence if you're:
- a Premises Licence holder
- a Personal Licence holder
- from a voluntary organisation
There are restrictions on the number/duration of occasional licences we can grant to voluntary organisations and clubs over a 12 month period, you can't have licences for a total of more than 56 days in that time.
How to apply
You should apply at least 28 days before the licence is required:
You'll need to provide:
- information about the applicant
- information about the premises (including the address)
- a description of the activities carried out on the premises
- the dates and times when you are proposing to sell alcohol
- information on if/when children or young people will be present
- the £10 application fee (unless paying by card)
Standard conditions attached to Occasional Licences for temporary outdoor drinking areas
Fee and payment
Applications cost £10 whether you are granted a licence or not:
- Send cash or a cheque (payable to Dumfries and Galloway Council) when you submit your application
- Call 01387 245923 and pay by credit or debit card
What happens next
We consider all applications in line with local licensing policies and principles. We also consult with Police Scotland and publish licensing notices online so interested parties can submit objections or representations within the permitted timescales.
Applications for hours outwith the Licensing Board's policy or subject to an objection need to be considered by the Dumfries and Galloway Licensing Boards .
A licence will be issued at the earliest possible date after an application has been granted.