Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
The scheme is open to new and current employees of Dumfries and Galloway Council and certain employers who are admitted to the scheme.
Employees will automatically join the Scheme from their start date, provided they have a contract of employment of more than three months. You can opt in or out of the scheme at any time:
Pension Statement 2018
LGPS is an important part of your employment package and is a great way to save for the future. It provides a range of benefits:
- a secure pension when you retire, you pay pension contributions and your employer does too
- your pension is worked out each year with inflation added, so it keeps up with the cost of living
- the scheme is flexible, you can chose to pay less or more
- you receive tax relief on your pension contributions
- you have the option when you draw your pension to exchange part of it for tax free cash
- you can draw your benefits anytime between the age of 60 to 75. Or as early as 55 if you have your employer's permission
- immediate life cover, ill health protection
- pension payable to dependents including spouses, civil partners, eligible cohabiting partners and children
Further information is available on each of the benefits from the scheme:
Member contribution rates are based on what you earn. You build up a pension at a rate of 1/49th of the amount of pay you received in that scheme year.
Reducing your contributions
You can reduce your pension contributions up to half through the 50/50 contribution option. This means you will only be building up half of your normal pension.
Increasing your contributions
If you want to increase your pension there are tax efficient ways to do this through Additional Voluntary Contributions (AVCs) and Additional Pension Contributions (APCs)
- Find out more on Additional Voluntary Contributions
- Find out more on Additional Pensions Contributions
You can contact the Pensions team for further information on the AVC options and providers:
- Call 01387 273854
- Email Pensions@dumgal.gov.uk
You can leave employment and take your pension at any age on or after your 55th birthday but your benefits may be reduced. See the section entitled Local Government Pension Scheme and Retirement for further details.
Death Grant & Nominations
This is a tax free lump sum payable to a nominated individual upon your death and it is equal to three times your actual pensionable pay.
LGPS Latest News
Occasionally there may be changes or updates to the scheme. You can keep yourself up to date through the LGPS2015 site:
General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
The General Data Protection Regulation came into force on 25 May 2018. This legislation will be fully applied into the Data Protection Act (2018).
As the Administering Authority of the Pension Fund we hold certain personal information information about you which we use to administer the Fund and to pay benefits from it. In line with the GDPR we have developed a Privacy notice which is designed to give you information about the data we hold about you, how we use it, your rights in relation to it and the safeguards that are in place to protect it.
Pre LGPS 2015 pension scheme
If you were a member of the LGPS before April 2015, different regulations will apply to your pension.
The Local Government Pension Scheme (Scotland) Regulations 2018 requires us to prepare, publish and review a communication policy.
You can contact the Pension Team for further guidance or to arrange independent financial advice through our providers:
- Email email@example.com
- Call 01387 260164, 273854 or 273831
- Write to Pensions, Monreith House, Crichton Business Park, Dumfries, DG1 4ZZ
Your chance for feedback
Customer Service is very important to us. If you have recently been in contact with the Pensions Section we are keen to have your feedback on the service you received. Please take a few minutes to complete our survey.