How Can I Help?
People across Dumfries and Galloway and beyond are looking for ways in which they can help support communities and individuals affected by the ongoing situation in Ukraine.
Our Council's approach is consistent with our actions during the Syrian and Afghan Crisis. We are working in partnership with specialist local organisations; Massive Outpouring of Love (MOOL), Dumfries and Galloway Multicultural Association (DGMA), the Scottish Refugee Council (SRC) and the Crichton Trust.
The UK Government has two routes for Ukrainian refugees to come to the UK. The first is the 'Ukraine Family Scheme Visa' for immediate family members of UK-based Ukrainians. To find our more visit 'Ukrainian Family Visa Scheme'
The second is the Homes for Ukraine Scheme. Anyone seeking to accommodate Ukrainians in their own homes should follow the link below for information which includes details on how to register.
Our Council agreed on 31 March 2023 to participate in Ukrainian refugee resettlement schemes and to discuss with CoSLA potential Council support to a Ukrainian Council. Please see report in link below:
The Russian invasion has resulted in millions of refugees fleeing Ukraine. There are 4 possible ways for refugees from Ukraine to enter Scotland:
- UK Government Family Visa Scheme (links with immediate family members, arranged directly between the hosts and a Ukrainian)
- UK Government Individual and Community Sponsor Homes for Ukraine Scheme (arranged directly between a host UK resident or host community organisation and a refugee)
- Scottish Government Super Sponsor Scheme (matching of families to properties arranged between CoSLA and a Scottish Local Authority, with accommodation and support arranged by the local authority)
- Unannounced arrivals, with a particular focus on 5 points of entry: Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Stranraer (ports at Cairnryan and Loch Ryan)
Massive Outpouring of Love (MOOL) volunteers regularly arrange transportation of donations to be shipped abroad.
MOOL's website with details about what donations are required can be found at: www.mool.scot/donate
- email email@example.com
- website www.mool.scot/
- Facebook group Massive Outpouring Of Love - D&G Refugee Action | Facebook
Dumfries and Galloway Multicultural Association (DGMA) exists to support people from ethnic, religious and cultural minorities.
You can find out more information on the Community Planning Partnership Resettlement Project Board in Dumfries and Galloway.
If you would like to enquire further please contact Resettlementproject@dumgal.gov.uk