Dumfries and Galloway War Memorial Competition
The Dumfries and Galloway War Memorial Improvement Programme and Competition has been agreed:
- To mark the Royal British Legion (Legion Scotland) 100th Anniversary and Armed Forces Week.
- To show our region's support for the Armed Forces and Veterans.
- To deliver infrastructure improvements in our towns and villages.
- To provide outdoor working opportunities for local businesses.
- To encourage volunteering opportunities for veterans, cadets and local people.
- To promote community wellbeing and civic pride.
· Applications are invited for all War Memorials in our region.
· One entry for each War Memorial will be considered.
· Applications can be from any group in the locality - joint applications are welcome.
- Large Community War Memorial with Garden
- Small Community War Memorial with Garden
- Large Community War Memorial without Garden
- Small Community War Memorial without Garden
The definition of 'large and small communities' is:
Large - 2000 or more residents.
Small - less than 2000 residents.
A winner and runner-up will be selected in each category.
- The structure is clean and free from moss and weeds.
- Any paths, walkways, hedges, shrubbery, flower borders, and all cultivated areas should be neat and properly tended.
- Inscriptions are clear and easy to read.
- There is evidence of volunteering opportunities and/or work of local groups and businesses.
- Support of local people and visitors.
- Competition entry forms must be submitted by 12 noon on Monday 26 July 2021.
- Competition closes 5pm on Wednesday 1 September 2021.
- Entries will be judged by a panel including the Chair and Vice Chair of the Communities Committees, Armed Forces Champion and British Legion representative and will take place in September 2021.
- Winners will be announced in October 2021.
- There will be a visit to each of the winning Memorials during October/November 2021 to present the prize of a certificate to be displayed in the community and publicity for the applicant group(s).
Dumfries and Galloway War Memorial Improvement Programme - Grant Support
A small grant between £50 and £200 (depending on the size and location of the Memorial) is available.
- One grant for any individual War Memorial will be considered.
- There is no match funding requirement.
- The grant is for improvements to the War Memorial for example to help with the costs of cleaning, repainting of inscriptions and planting.
- Health and Safety and other advice (eg for cleaning materials) must be followed.
- The grant application must show the proposed improvements (eg cleaning, planting; repairs; repainting); proposed volunteering opportunities (eg for veterans, cadets and local people); and proposed use of local businesses.
How to apply for funding
- Dumfries and Galloway War Memorial entry forms are available from Friday 25 June 2021.
- Completed entry forms should be submitted to Civic.Hospitality@dumgal.gov.uk no later than 12 noon on Monday 26 July 2021.
- The scoring will be undertaken by an officer panel, in line with our Council's usual grant procedures.
- Decisions will be advised by Friday 30 July 2021.
Guidance and Entry Forms
Full guidance notes and the competition entry form can be found below by clicking the link below:
For further information on the competition please email Civic.Hospitality@dumgal.gov.uk or call 030 33 33 3000
For information and advice on cleaning or Health and Safety matters please email CommunityAssets-Nithsdale@dumgal.gov.uk
War Memorials Trust - The charity that works to protect and conserve war memorials in the UK
War Memorials Online - a great tool to encourage public engagement with war memorials and enable them to do something with war memorials even when their local ones need no direct work. If
Learn about War Memorials - an educational resources for young people.