Coronavirus (COVID-19) -
Information and advice.

Council Tax reduction and Housing benefit

You may be able to get help with your Council Tax and rent if you are on a low income or getting certain benefits.

Council Tax Reduction

Dumfries and Galloway Council are still responsible for assessing any entitlement to help with your Council Tax liability via Council Tax Reduction. You'll need to make a separate claim for any reduction in Council Tax you may be entitled to, it is not included as part of Universal Credit.

Apply for Council Tax Reduction

(unfortunately you cannot apply online using mobile devices)

Housing benefit

You can no longer claim Housing Benefit within Dumfries and Galloway unless you meet certain criteria.

Universal Credit Full Service launched in Dumfries and Galloway on 16/05/2018. This means that anyone seeking assistance with their rent can no longer claim Housing Benefit, and must instead claim Universal Credit , unless they meet one of the exceptions.

Check if you're eligible for benefits

You may be able to get help if:

  • you are the person responsible for paying the rent on a low income
  • you have savings of less than £16,000
  • you are receiving income support, Jobseeker's Allowance or Pension Credits
  • you are a student with special circumstances

Apply for housing benefit

This application will also be your application for Council Tax Reduction if you are liable for Council Tax.

Apply for housing benefit online

(unfortunately you cannot apply online using mobile devices)

You can also call 030 33 33 3006 or visit a Customer Service Centre  to apply.

You'll need to provide information on:

  • your identity
  • any income you receive
  • any savings you have
  • your national insurance number
  • the same information for a partner
  • details of anyone else living in your house

What happens next

We aim to deal with applications within 14 days of receiving all relevant information.  If upon receipt of your Housing Benefit claim it is determined that you should instead claim Universal Credit, we will contact you as soon as possible.

We'll backdate payments to the Monday after you applied if you're successful.

Discretionary Housing Payments

You may be entitled to an additional Discretionary Housing Payment if you get Housing Benefit or Universal Credit, with Housing Costs included, but still find it hard to pay your rent.

Unhappy with our decision

We have a review process for housing benefit applicants who are not happy with the decision about their application.

Tell us about a change

You should always let us know if your address or circumstances change for any reason.

Report a change of address

Report another change of circumstances

You can also:

Other support

Depending on your situation you may also find help and support from other services. You can find out who might help you locally by using find my nearest and choosing Housing Support Outreach Services.

Page last updated: 05/03/2021
email icon print icon Bookmark and Share