Beattock to Moffat Cycle way Options
You asked us to provide a fully accessible cycling and walking route to better enable and encourage active travel journeys between the communities of Beattock and Moffat.
Engineering Design have been working on a scheme funded by Sustrans to undertake an Options Appraisal of potential walking/cycling routes between Beattock and Moffat.
As part of the development of possible options for the cycle way, we consulted with:
- Local Councillors & Ward Officer
- Kirkpatrick Juxta Community Council
- Moffat & district Community Council
- Beattock Primary Parent Council
- Moffat Academy Parent Council
- Cycling UK
- Public Consultation Events at Moffat Town Hall & Beattock Primary School
Following consultation the following options have been identified:
- Option 1 - Removal of the abutment and widening of the existing footway/cycle way at Hidden Corner.
- Option 2 - Widening and improvement of the existing footway to create a footway/cycle way from A701 Hidden Corner to Station Park.
- Option 4 - Widening and improvement of existing shared use facility with lighting and street furniture provision from the A701 Barnhill Roundabouts to Hidden Corner.
- Option 6 - Improvement of the existing shared use facility with lighting provision on National Cycle Route 74 (between Smith Way and Barnhill Roundabout)
- Option 7 - Widening of the existing footpath from Smith Way Link to National Cycle Route 74.
You can view where these options would be placed through our recommendations map:
We have now completed our options appraisal and identified a number of potential routes to be progressed through to the next stages of the design.
We have recently applied to Sustrans for Stage 1 to Stage 4 Places to Everyone funding to progress the scheme onto the Feasibility Study, Concept and Detailed Design. Sustrans will notify whether our funding bid is successful at the end of June 2019.