Annual Council Tax Notices 2023

Your 2023/24 Council Tax bill is being prepared and should be delivered on or shortly after 15 March 2023. Please find answers to the most commonly asked questions below.

Why has my bill gone up?

There are 3 main reasons why your Council Tax bill will have increased for financial year 2023/24:

  • Following the Annual Budget Meeting Council Tax has increased by 6%
  • Water and Wastewater Charges have increased by 5% - more information on these charges are available on Scottish Waters website
  • Last year taxpayers who were living in Band A to D properties on 14 February 2022 were awarded £150.00. This was a one-off payment of support from The Scottish Government, there has been no Cost of Living payments provided by the Government for this new financial year

I am receiving full Council Tax Reduction so why do I still have to pay?

Your bill shows a Council Tax charge as well as water and sewerage charges. Council Tax Reduction only covers your Council Tax charge; therefore, you still need to pay for water and sewerage.

Why am I being charged for water and sewerage when not connected to the mains supply?

Please check your bill carefully. We are required by law to detail the amount of water and wastewater. However, you will only be charged these amounts if these are shown in the calculation box. If the charges are in the calculation box on your bill and you have no mains connection, please contact us and we will query it with Scottish Water on your behalf.

What does my Council Tax pay for?

Council Tax is a property tax levied on all domestic properties to contribute toward the cost of all Council Services. Unfortunately, there are no reductions available where the property occupier does not use a Council Service. If you wish to see how decisions on budgets and expenditure are made on a service by service basis the reports, agenda and minutes for Councillors meetings are available on our website.

I want to pay by direct debit how can I set this up?

You can set up a direct debit mandate online. By choosing direct debit you can spread your instalments over 12 months, choose from 4 payment dates or choose to pay weekly or fortnightly.

How else can I pay my bill?

  • Online payments - please visit here to make payments online. If paying online, please ensure you choose the correct year from the drop down list
  • Automated Telephone payments - call 01387 273003 - 24 hours per day
  • By credit or debit card - call 030 33 33 3005 and speak to a member of staff.  Please note that the Council Tax lines do get very busy following the annual bills being issued and you may have to wait in a queue using this method
  • In person - take your Council Tax payment card or your barcoded bill to any Post Office or PayPoint outlet with your payment
  • By post - you can post cheques made payable to "Dumfries and Galloway Council" (with your account reference quoted on the back) to Dumfries and Galloway Council, Revenue Services, PO Box 9089, Dumfries, DG1 9EB

I want to change my direct debit bank account details, how can I do this?

In order to amend your direct debit for Council Tax you can change the details at your bank and they will notify us via the Automated Direct Debit Amendment and Cancellation Service or you can complete a new DD instruction online.

Alternatively, you can call 0303 333 3005 and we can do this for you over the telephone. 

I contacted you and told you I had moved house why does my new bill not show this?

The information for the bills was extracted from our database on 05 March 2023. If you advised us of a change after 03 March 2023 it will not show on your annual bill but you will be issued with a new bill shortly.

I think I might be entitled to a discount how can I check?

You may be entitled to a discount or exemption on your Council Tax under special circumstances. A full list with the available downloadable forms is available here.

Could I qualify for a Disabled Band Reduction?

If you or someone who lives with you on a permanent basis is disabled and the house meets certain criteria to help the disabled person stay at home you may be able to claim for a reduction. Full details and a downloadable application form are available here

Is there financial support for water and sewerage charges?

Yes - the Water Charges Reduction Scheme (WCRS) provides financial support to households that receive Council Tax Reduction. The level of support depends on the level of your Council Tax Reduction and if you receive a 25% single person discount. In all situations, a household with 100% Council Tax Reduction will receive a total reduction of 35% off the full water and sewerage charge for the dwelling. You do not need to apply separately for WCRS. The information that is used to assess your Council Tax Reduction will be used to calculate the amount of WCRS support to apply to your water and sewerage charges.

I am on a low income can I get any reduction?

Your Council Tax may be reduced if you are on a low income or benefits. You can check your entitlement and apply for a reduction here.

I recently claimed Council Tax Reduction but my bill does not show any Council Tax Reduction?

The information for the bills was extracted from our database on 05 March 2023. If your new claim was awarded after 03 March 2023, it will not show on your annual bill but you will get a new bill shortly. You will also get a decision notice confirming the outcome of your claim. If you have received a decision notice dated 01 March 2023 or earlier but your annual bill does not include the Council Tax Reduction you should contact the Benefits Section.

My circumstances changed recently and I expected my Council Tax Reduction to change, but my bill shows the same amount?

The information for the bills was extracted from our database on 05 March 2023. If you reported your change of circumstances after 28 February 2023, it may not show on your annual bill but you will be issued a new bill shortly.

The Benefits Section will send you a decision letter confirming your change has been dealt with. If your decision letter is dated 01 March 2023 or earlier but the change to your Council Tax Reduction is not shown on your new bill, please contact the Benefits Section.

If you have not reported your change of circumstances to the Benefits Section you should do so now.

I have been receiving Council Tax Reduction for some time but my new bill does not show any Council Tax Reduction even though there has been little or no change to my circumstances?

If you have been in receipt of a low amount of Council Tax Reduction then a slight change may result in you not being entitled to any further Council Tax Reduction. If you wish to query this further, please contact our Benefits Section.

Page last updated: 12/03/2023
email icon print icon