Youth Democracy and Youth Participation
In Dumfries & Galloway, we are proud to have opportunities for young people to get involved in both local and national decision making.
Our Council's Youth Participation and Engagement strategy, 2022-2027, lays out the ways in which young people can get involved in decision making across the region.
Regional Youth Council
The Regional Youth Council was elected on April 1st 2019 and includes space for a total of 35 representatives;
- 4 Members of the Scottish Youth Parliament (2 for each parliamentary constituency)
- 24 Ward Youth Councillors (2 for each ward area)
- 7 Nominated Youth Councillors (1 for each minority group)
Elections for the Youth Council and Scottish Youth Parliament run every 2 years with the next election due to take place in November 2023.
Youth Councillors and Members of the Scottish Youth Parliament are responsible for advocating on behalf of young people to local (Elected Members) and national (MPs and MSPs) decision makers to ensure that young people's voice are heard and acted upon.
To view a list of Youth Councillors visit: YouthWork - Dumfries and Galloway Council - Find My Youth Councillor (dumgal.gov.uk)
Scottish Youth Parliament (SYP)
The Scottish Youth Parliament is the national youth led organisation with democratically elected members. Its purpose is to listen to the issues that are important to young people and provide a national platform to discuss and campaign these issues so that they are heard by decision-makers.
They do this by:
· Being part of national campaigns and projects
· Influencing policy and decision making
In Dumfries and Galloway, all four MSYPs are automatically elected to represent young people on the Regional Youth Council. Finlay Anderson is responsible for Wigtownshire, Alasdair Marshall for Stewartry, Tyler Oakley for Annandale and Eskdale, and Skye Allan for Nithsdale. Your MSYP works alongside your areas Youth Councillor to find out what's working and what's not and uses your views to vote at the Scottish Youth Parliament Sittings that take place 3 times per year. You can message your MSYP directly here: https://syp.org.uk/members/find-your-msyp/
You can get involved by contacting us by contacting your Representatives directly or you can follow us on Facebook @DGSYP, on Twitter @YOUTHWORKDG or by e-mailing email@example.com
- The Regional Youth Council is supported by Dumfries & Galloway Council's Youth Work Team, more information can be found about what we do here:https://www.dumgal.gov.uk/article/17297/Youth-Work
- The Regional Youth Council works alongside existing groups providing targeted support for young people with minority identities, for example our Care Experienced Youth Councillor links in with the Champions Board Project to make sure they are speaking up for young people with experiences of care. This is the same for our Youth Councillors who represent Young Parents, Young People with ASN and Disabilities, Ethnic Minority Youth, Gypsy Traveller Youth, Young Carers and LGBT Youth.
To find out more about other youth democracy opportunities in your area contact the youth work team:
- Call: 01387 260243
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org