Coronavirus (COVID-19) -
All You Need To Know

Permitted development rights for sundry minor operations

Some minor works can be undertaken without planning permission depending on certain criteria.

New access to roads

Constructing access to a road which isn't a trunk/classified road does not require planning permission as long as the access is to a permitted development. However, if it involves putting in a gate, fence or wall there may be restrictions. 

Gates, fences and walls

Construction, maintenance, improvement or the alteration of a gate, fence, wall or other means of enclosure does not require planning permission if:

  • it's not higher than 1 metre above ground level when within 20 metres of a road
  • it's not higher than 2 metres above ground level anywhere else
  • alterations mean it doesn't exceed its previous height or the heights previously mentioned here
  • it doesn't involve development within or surrounding the curtilage of a listed building or dwelling house (covered under  householder developments )

Stone cleaning or painting

Stone cleaning or any application of colour to the exterior of any structure does not require planning permission if:

  • painting does not involve an advertisement, announcement or direction
  • it isn't situated within a conservation area
  • the building's not listed
  • it isn't within the curtilage of a dwelling house or being done to the curtilage itself (covered under  householder developments )
Page last updated: 07/05/2019
email icon print icon Bookmark and Share