Coronavirus (COVID-19) -
All You Need To Know

Permitted development rights for agriculture

Some development work for the purposes of agriculture can be done without planning permission. You need to submit and pay for a Determination of Prior Approval Notification (DPA) application instead.

You don't need planning permission (depending on certain criteria) for:

  • The erection, extension, or alteration of an agricultural building on land over 0.4 hectares
  • Making, altering or maintaining private ways on agricultural land
  • Excavation or engineering operations on agricultural land

'Agricultural' includes:

  • horticulture, fruit growing, market gardens, nurseries and seed growing,
  • the breeding and keeping of livestock and dairy farming
  • grazing land, meadow land, osier land, and some woodlands.

You will need planning permission if:

  • the agricultural land is less than 0.4 hectares
  • the work or building is not for an agricultural purpose
  • you're building or extending something to be more than 465 square meters, including any other development done  in the last 2 years that is within 90 metres.
  • you're building something more than12 metres high, or more than 3 metres high within 3km of an aerodrome
  • the development will be within 25 metres of a trunk/classified road.
  • it involves a building housing animals or for storing slurry or sewage sludge and is within 400 metres of someone's house which isn't part of a farm.

Applying for a DPA

Quicker and more straightforward than planning permission, a DPA still gives us a 28 day period to look at the siting and design of your building and raise any concerns. You will then be asked to re-apply for Prior Approval if there are any concerns.

Submit a DPA application

Your DPA application must include:

  • a written description of the proposed development
  • a plan of the site
  • the fee

Starting work

You can begin work once:

  • you have confirmation that prior approval isn't required
  • after 28 days of your application being accepted if you've heard nothing to the contrary
  • once prior approval has been given if it was needed.

You must carry out your work in accordance with the plans you submitted within 5 years of your application.

Page last updated: 07/05/2019
email icon print icon Bookmark and Share