Support for festivals and events
We're working to establish Dumfries and Galloway as an internationally renowned destination for rural events that continuously attracts new visitors to the region. Advice and funding is available to help.
Major Festivals and Events Strategy
We've developed a Major Festivals and Events Strategy for Dumfries and Galloway which outlines priorities and an action plan for major events. The latest document was adopted in December 2017 and covers the period 2018 to 2021:
The Strategy provides ring-fenced funding to protect and support seven 'Signature Events' in recognition of their sporting, cultural and economic importance to Dumfries and Galloway:
- Big Burns Supper
- Dumfries and Galloway Arts Festival
- RSAC Scottish Rally
- Spring Fling
- Wigtown Book Festival
- World Championship Ice Hockey
Regional Events Growth Fund
The purpose of this Fund is to help smaller scale events to grow and develop. During the four-year lifetime of the events strategy, this Fund will only open once, in 2018, to identify and subsequently provide grant funding for the new Regional Growth Events of Dumfries and Galloway.
To qualify to apply to become a Regional Growth Event, your event must have:
1. taken place at least twice in the past three years (2015-2017);
2. had a financial budget of £10,000 or more the last time the event took place;
3. attracted a minimum of 300 unique visitors the last time the event took place;
4. clear tourism potential e.g. the ability to attract new visitors to Dumfries and Galloway.
The Regional Events Growth Fund is now open. Closing date for applications is 5pm on Friday 26 October 2018. Please return your completed application form by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Major Events Strategic Fund 2019/2020
The Major Events Strategic Fund is also available to assist the development of events in Dumfries and Galloway. This competitive fund has supported events such as Electric Fields, the Eden Festival and the Stranraer Oyster Festival in recent years. Events organisations are encouraged to apply to this fund rather than their respective Area Committees.
Financial support for festivals and events could be available if you:
- attract in the region of 1,000 or more unique visitors
- operate on a net budget that exceeds £30,000
- are marketing to a quantifiable target of out of region visitors
- can demonstrate a good return on public sector investment
Applications for 2019/2020 can now be made for your 2019/2020 festival or event project. Closing date for applications is 5pm on Friday 16 November 2018. Please return your completed application form by email to email@example.com. There is no further opportunity to apply to the Major Events Strategic Fund for 2019/2020 projects after this deadline.
Advice for event organisers
We've also prepared an Events Toolkit which is a practical guide to running festivals and events. The toolkit covers all the key areas of events management and provides some tools that you might find helpful.