Local Housing Allowance
Local Housing Allowance (LHA) is the method of working out the maximum housing benefit for private tenants on a low income. It is based on the number of bedrooms your household needs.
You won't receive LHA if you are a housing association tenant or a sharing owner. Your housing benefit will be worked out by a different method in these situations.
The current weekly rates of LHA in Dumfries and Galloway are:
- Shared accommodation rate = £59.44 per week
- One bedroom rate = £85.15 per week
- Two bedrooms rate = £103.56 per week
- Three bedrooms rate = £115.03 per week
- Four or more bedrooms rate = £155.34 per week
These rates are reviewed and adjusted every year.
Number of bedrooms
You are allowed one bedroom for:
- an adult couple
- any other adult aged 16 or over
- any two children of the same sex up to the age of 16
- any two children regardless of sex under the age of 10
- any other child
- a carer if you or your partner are disabled and require overnight care
- a person who normally lives with you but is deployed on active service
Additional bedroom allowances may be made for:
- Foster parents
- A child with a severe disability
You may be eligible for discretionary housing payments if you're entitled to LHA and it doesn't cover your rent.