People not counted for council tax purposes
We ignore certain groups when counting the people living in your home and calculating your council tax. These people are known as disregarded persons.
People in the following groups can apply to be disregarded:
- people in prison / detention
- people who are severely mentally impaired
- people for whom child benefit is payable
- students, apprentices, student nurses and youth trainees
- hospital patients and patients in care homes
- school and college leavers
- visiting forces
- religious communities
- hostel and night shelter residents
- spouses or dependents of non-British students who can't work or claim benefits
How to apply
A number of application forms are available to download:
You will need to provide:
- information about the person
- information about the property
- supporting evidence
You can also call 030 33 33 3005 or visit a Customer Service Centre to request an application or if the form you need to complete is not available to download.
What happens next
We aim to deal with applications within 14 days of receiving all of the relevant information. Your account will be updated as soon as a decision is made.