Council tax reductions for tied or job related accommodation

You may get a discount on your council tax if you live in a property that is tied to your job and you have to live there.


You may get a 50% discount if you:

  • are required to live in a property as part of your job but your main residence is elsewhere
  • have left a property unoccupied because you must live elsewhere as part of your job

The discount may be applied to either property depending on your circumstances.

Apply for a discount

You will need to provide information on:

  • your council tax account
  • your name and contact details
  • the property you live in
  • the property you are claiming a reduction for
  • any relevant dates of occupation
  • evidence to support your claim

You can also call 030 33 33 3005 or visit one of our customer service centres .

What happens next

We aim to deal with applications within 14 days of receiving all of the relevant information. Your account will be updated as soon as a decision is made.

Changes in your circumstances

You should always let us know if your circumstances change for any reason.

Page last updated: 20/10/2023
email icon print icon