Council tax reductions for students
Your council tax may be reduced if you are a full-time student.
The following discounts are available:
- 25% discount if all but one of the adults living at the property are students
- 100% exemption if the property is occupied solely by students
You may get a discount if one of the following applies:
- you are studying a specified course of education for 21 hours a week over 24 weeks in each academic year
- you are under 20 and studying for A levels, Highers, HNDs, HNCs and Level 4 SVQs for at least 12 hours a week over three months
We'll also treat you as a student if you're registered with the British Council as a foreign language assistant and work in a school or other educational establishment.
Apply for a discount
You will need to provide information on:
- your identity
- your education or course
- the property you live in
- anyone else living in your household
In addition to completing the form online you must also supply evidence of your student status e.g. a copy of your student certificate. You should email your evidence to email@example.com Your email should show your full name and the address at which you are applying for the reduction.
What happens next
We aim to deal with applications within 14 days of receiving all of the relevant information. Your account will be updated as soon as a decision is made.
Changes in your circumstances
You should always let us know if your circumstances change for any reason.
- Call 030 33 33 3005 or visit one of our customer service centres .