Council tax reductions for people in prison
Your council tax may be reduced if someone from your household is in detention or prison. Prisoners on remand won't get a discount.
People who are in prison can be ignored when we're calculating council tax bills. The following discounts are available when a householder is in prison:
- 25% discount if the property still has one adult resident
- 100% exemption if the property is left unoccupied
Apply for a reduction
You'll need to provide information on:
- the identity of the person in prison
- details of the property and council tax account
- evidence from the institution where the person is detained
You can also call 030 33 33 3005 or visit one of our customer service centres .
What happens next
We aim to deal with applications within 14 days of receiving all of the relevant information. Your account will be updated as soon as a decision is made.
Changes in your circumstances
You should always let us know if your circumstances change for any reason.
- Call 030 33 33 3005 or visit one of our customer service centres