Council tax reductions for low income households

Your council tax may be reduced if you are on a low income or benefits.


You may get a reduction if:

  • you are responsible for paying council tax
  • you have less than £16,000 in savings
  • you have a low income or are receiving Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance, Pension Credits or Universal Credit
  • you are a student with special circumstances

If you are not eligible for a reduction because of your income or circumstances, you may be eligible for a Second Adult Rebate which you can apply for in the same way as a Council Tax Reduction.

Apply for a reduction

Apply online for council tax reduction

You will need to provide information on:

  • your identity
  • your personal circumstances
  • any income from working, benefits and pensions
  • any payments you make for rent, childcare or dependents
  • your partner or anyone else living in your household

What happens next

We aim to deal with applications within 14 days of receiving all of the relevant information. Your account will be updated as soon as a decision is made.

You can ask in writing for an independent review from the Council Tax Reduction Review Panel (CTRRP) if you've applied for a council tax reduction without housing benefit and are unhappy after having it reconsidered by us. You must do this within 42 days of the decision.

Tell us about a change

You should always let us know if your address or circumstances change for any reason.

Report a change of address

Report another change of circumstances

You can also call 030 33 33 3006 or visit one of our Customer Service Centres .

Page last updated: 15/11/2019
email icon print icon