Bus passes for older people

You can travel free on buses across Scotland if you are 60 or over and live in Dumfries and Galloway. Services between this area and Carlisle are also free.

Complete an application form at any of our Customer Service Centres .

Assisted applications are available via computer booths in Dumfries (Ewart Library) , Lockerbie , Newton Stewart and Stranraer . Staff can check documents, take a photograph, complete an electronic application and order your bus pass straightaway.


You'll need to provide a colour passport photo if you are completing a paper application. Photos must:

  • be taken against a plain background
  • be recent and recognisable
  • be clear and in focus
  • only include your head and shoulders
  • not include headwear (unless for religious reasons)

A passport photograph is not required if you are completing an assisted application at Dumfries (Ewart Library), Lockerbie, Stranraer or Newton Stewart. One of our staff will take a photograph during the application process.

Proof of age

You'll need to provide one of the following as proof of age:

  • passport
  • birth certificate
  • photo driving licence
  • attendance allowance award letter

Proof of address

You'll need to provide one of the following as proof of address:

  • recent council tax bill
  • recent utility bill
  • recent bank statement
  • television licence
  • letter from a care home

Recent documents must be dated within the last 3 months.

Receiving your card

Your application will be checked and sent away to be processed. You should get your bus pass within 2 weeks, it will be sent to the address you provided.

Lost, stolen or damaged cards

Let us know if your bus pass is lost, stolen or damaged so that we can arrange a replacement. Call 030 33 33 3000 or visit one of our customer service centres .

Page last updated: 30/04/2018
email icon print icon Bookmark and Share