Civil partnerships in Dumfries and Galloway
You can get legal recognition of a same-sex relationship by forming a civil partnership as an alternative to a marriage. You need contact us and complete paperwork if you are planning to a civil partnership in this region.
Marriage and Civil Partnerships
Full details on legalities to marriage and civil partnership in Scotland including the Marriage Notice forms (M10s) and Civil Partnership Notice forms (CP10s) can be found at: www.nrscotland.gov.uk
- If you need to contact us and have already submitted your M10 forms or CP10 forms you can telephone 030 33 33 3004 or send an email to DumfriesRegistrar@dumgal.gov.uk.
- If you need to contact us because you wish to know the progress of your marriage or civil partnership application, please bear with us until your receive an email or letter from the Registrar. Your application will have been logged and will be at processing stage. Once this is complete, you will receive an email or letter from us. New applications will be prioritised in order of date of marriage or civil partnership.
- If you wish to pay the fees for your marriage or civil partnership booking, you can do so online via our payment portal. Full details on how to pay your fees online will be emailed to you once you have submitted your M10 or CP10 forms. Our staff will be able to take your payment over the telephone by debit or credit card.
- If you have previously submitted documents as part of your application, these will be returned to you when you attend to be married or enter into a civil partnership. If you have cancelled your marriage plans, your documents will automatically be returned you. If you have cancelled your marriage or civil partnership plans, your documents will automatically be returned you.
- If you are required to attend the registration office to submit a passport or collect a Schedule for a ceremony this will be detailed in the email or letter from the Registrar.
- The postal address to send your marriage or civil partnership application is, Gretna Registration Office, Central Avenue, Gretna DG16 5AQ
Other Registration Services
If you wish to make an appointment to register a birth or death or purchase a replacement certificate you can telephone Dumfries and Galloway Council on 030 33 33 3004 to register a birth, death or marriage. A member of our team will be able to assist you.
Thank you for your patience and support.
A number of documents have to be submitted to one of our registration offices along with the relevant fees payment. This can be done within 3 months of the civil partnership date and no later than 29 days before that date.
Both parties will need to provide:
- Marriage Notice Form (nrscotland.gov.uk) or a civil partnership notice application (Form CP10) - you must serve a minimum period of 29 days notice to be married or enter a civil partnership in Scotland. The maximum notice you can serve is 3 months. Please read the guidance notes for marriage or guidance notes for civil partnership before completing the forms.
- the appropriate fees - these can be paid online by debit or credit card once your application has been processed.
- a birth certificate
- proof of being widowed (if appropriate)
- proof of a divorce or annulment (if appropriate)
- proof of nationality
- proof of residence
- a completed Declaration of Status by Non-UK Nationals- this form is required for all persons who are not British Citizens and 2 x passport size photographs in some circumstances. Your application will not be accepted without this form.
A certified translation must be provided with any documents you submit that are written in a language other than English.
The registrar will contact you via email or letter to inform you of the position of your application.
Return of documents - Postage
We are unable to hold your documents or return these to you in person. Your Documents will be returned to you by post.
You must enclose a pre-paid self-addressed envelope with the appropriate postage with your application form for us to return your documents or pay the agreed postage fee of £7. This charge is in addition to the fees payable below.
If you have submitted a passport this will be returned to you using Royal Mail Special Delivery service for which you must pay the agreed postage fee of £7.
The amount you pay depends on where you have the ceremony.
Notice fee - £45 per person (non-refundable)
Civil marriage solemnisation or civil partnership registration - £55
Marriage or civil partnership certificate - £10
Enhanced fees - additional fees charged by Dumfries & Galloway Council
Advance booking for registration office ceremony - £101 (non-refundable)
Registration office ceremony with more than 8 guests - £106
Registrar's attendance at authorised venue ceremony - £230 (non-refundable)
Registration on a Saturday - £130
Registration on a Sunday or public holiday - £196
Postage fee - £7
How to Pay
There are a number of ways to pay for your marriage or civil partnership fees:
- Send a cheque (payable to Dumfries and Galloway Council) when you submit your M10 or CP10 forms and documentation
- Pay online using the Pay It option at www.dumgal.gov.uk using a debit or credit card.
To be able to pay your fees online, you must submit your M10 or CP10 forms first providing an email address and contact telephone number. Upon receipt of your application, we will process your forms and send you an email with a reference number and instructions on how to make payment for your marriage or civil partnership fees online at www.dumgal.gov.uk.
Please note: You cannot make payment online until you have submitted your application and received a reference number from the Registrar.
Other charges may also apply for civil ceremonies depending on the location or date you choose. Ask your registrar for further details.
What happens next
We'll produce a Civil Partnership Schedule once we've processed your paperwork and are happy that there are no legal reasons that the partnership can't go ahead.
A civil partnership can't take place without the schedule. Our registrar will bring the schedule to the ceremony for you to sign.
Civil partnership certificates
We will officially register the civil partnership afterwards and send you a copy of the certificate when it is ready. The cost is included in our initial charges.