Coronavirus (COVID-19) -
All You Need To Know

Civil partnerships in Dumfries and Galloway

You can get legal recognition of a same-sex relationship by forming a civil partnership as an alternative to a marriage. You need contact us and complete paperwork if you are planning to a civil partnership in this region.

A number of documents have to be submitted to one of our registration offices along with the relevant fees payment. This can be done within 3 months of the civil partnership date and no later than 29 days before that date.

Find your nearest registrar

Information required

Both parties will need to provide:

  • a civil partnership notice application (Form CP10)
  • the appropriate fees
  • a birth certificate
  • proof of being widowed (if appropriate)
  • proof of a divorce or annulment (if appropriate)
  • proof of nationality
  • proof of residence
  • a Declaration of Immigration Status (if you are not British, a national of the European Economic Area or Swiss)

A certified translation must be provided with any documents you submit that are written in a language other than English.

Your documents will be held by the Registrar and returned to you in person if you attend the registration office.  Otherwise the documents will be posted to you after the ceremony along with your marriage extract.  If you wish your documents to be returned to you sooner, you must provide a self-addressed envelope with the appropriate postage.


Civil partnership fees must be paid when you submit your documents. The amount you pay depends on where you have the ceremony.

Statutory fees
Notice fee - £30 per person (non-refundable)
Civil marriage solemnisation or civil partnership registration - £55
Civil marriage or civil partnership certificate - £10

Enhanced fees - for ceremonies taking place on or after Monday 1 April
Advance booking for registration office ceremony - £91 (non-refundable)
Registration office ceremony with more than 8 guests - £96
Registrar's attendance at authorised venue ceremony - £209 (non-refundable)
Registration on a Saturday - £118
Registration on a Sunday or public holiday - £178

Payment must be made within 2 working days of submitting your application and cancellations must be submitted in writing.

There are a number of ways to pay:

  • Send cash or a cheque (payable to Dumfries and Galloway Council) when you submit your documentation
  • Pay by cash, cheque, credit or debit card at a registration office
  • Call a registrar  to pay by credit or debit card

Other charges may also apply for civil ceremonies depending on the location or date you choose. Ask your registrar for further details.

What happens next

We'll produce a Civil Partnership Schedule once we've processed your paperwork and are happy that there are no legal reasons that the partnership can't go ahead.

A civil partnership can't take place without the schedule. Our registrar will bring the schedule to the ceremony for you to sign.

Civil partnership certificates

We will officially register the civil partnership afterwards and send you a copy of the certificate when it is ready. The cost is included in our initial charges.

Page last updated: 29/10/2019
email icon print icon Bookmark and Share