Getting married in Dumfries and Galloway
You need to contact us and complete paperwork if you are planning to get married in this region.
A number of documents have to be submitted to one of our registration offices along with the relevant fees payment. This can be done within 3 months of the marriage date and no later than 29 days before that date.
Both parties will need to provide:
- a marriage notice application (Form M10)
- the appropriate fees
- a birth certificate
- a passport
- proof of address (dated within the last three months)
- proof of being widowed (if appropriate)
- proof of a divorce or annulment (if appropriate)
- a certificate of no impediment showing you can marry (if you live outside the UK or have lived here less than 2 years)
- a Declaration of Immigration Status (if you are not British, a national of the European Economic Area or Swiss)
A certified translation must be provided with any documents you submit that are written in a language other than English.
The amount you pay depends on how you'd like to get married. Marriage fees must be paid when you submit your documents.
Notice fee - £30 per person (non-refundable)
Civil marriage solemnisation or civil partnership registration - £55
Marriage or civil partnership certificate - £10
Advance booking for registration office ceremony - £75 (non-refundable)
Registration office ceremony with more than 8 guests or larger room/suite - £79
Registrar's attendance at authorised venue ceremony - £172.50 (non-refundable)
Registration on a Saturday - £97
Registration on a Sunday or public holiday - £146.50
Enhanced fees from 1 April 2018
Advance booking for registration office ceremony - £82.50 (non-refundable)
Registration office ceremony with more than 8 guests or larger room/suite - £87
Registrar's attendance at authorised venue ceremony - £190 (non-refundable)
Registration on a Saturday - £107
Registration on a Sunday or public holiday - £161.50
Payment must be made within 2 working days of submitting your application and cancellations must be submitted in writing.
There are a number of ways to pay:
- Send cash or a cheque (payable to Dumfries and Galloway Council) when you submit your documentation
- Pay by cash, cheque, credit or debit card at a registration office
- Call a registrar to pay by credit or debit card
- Find out more about arranging a civil ceremony
What happens next
We'll produce a Marriage Schedule once we've processed your paperwork and are happy that there are no legal reasons that the marriage can't go ahead. A marriage can't take place without the Marriage Schedule and you need to sign it on the day.
Our registrar will bring the Marriage Schedule to the ceremony if you're having a civil marriage but you need to collect it from the office if you're having a religious or belief ceremony.
We will officially register the marriage afterwards and send you a copy of the marriage certificate when it is ready. The cost is included in our initial charges.