Getting married in Dumfries and Galloway
You need to contact us and complete paperwork if you are planning to get married in this region.
A number of documents have to be submitted to the Registrar where the marriage is taking place along with the relevant fees payment. This can be done within 3 months of the marriage date and no later than 29 days before that date.
Both parties will need to provide to the Registrar where the marriage is taking place:
- a marriage notice application (Form M10)
- the appropriate fees
- a birth certificate
- proof of nationality
- proof of residence (dated within the last three months)
- proof of being widowed (if appropriate)
- proof of a divorce or annulment (if appropriate)
- a certificate of no impediment showing you can marry (if you live outside the UK or have lived here less than 2 years)
- a Declaration of Immigration Status (if you are not British, a national of the European Economic Area or Swiss)
A certified translation must be provided with any documents you submit that are written in a language other than English.
Your documents will be held by the Registrar and returned to you in person if you attend the registration office. Otherwise the documents will be posted to you after the ceremony along with your marriage extract. If you wish your documents to be returned to you sooner, you must provide a self-addressed envelope with the appropriate postage.
The amount you pay depends on how you'd like to get married. Marriage fees must be paid when you submit your documents.
Notice fee - £30 per person (non-refundable)
Civil marriage solemnisation or civil partnership registration - £55
Marriage or civil partnership certificate - £10
Enhanced fees - for ceremonies taking place on or after Monday 1 April
Advance booking for registration office ceremony - £91 (non-refundable)
Registration office ceremony with more than 8 guests - £96
Registrar's attendance at authorised venue ceremony - £209 (non-refundable)
Registration on a Saturday - £118
Registration on a Sunday or public holiday - £178
Payment must be made within 2 working days of submitting your application and cancellations must be submitted in writing.
There are a number of ways to pay:
- Send cash or a cheque (payable to Dumfries and Galloway Council) when you submit your documentation
- Pay by cash, cheque, credit or debit card at a registration office
- Call a registrar to pay by credit or debit card
- Find out more about arranging a civil ceremony
What happens next
We'll produce a Marriage Schedule once we've processed your paperwork and are happy that there are no legal reasons that the marriage can't go ahead. A marriage can't take place without the Marriage Schedule and you need to sign it on the day.
Our registrar will bring the Marriage Schedule to the ceremony if you're having a civil marriage but you need to collect it from the office if you're having a religious or belief ceremony.
We will officially register the marriage afterwards and send you a copy of the marriage certificate when it is ready. The cost is included in our initial charges.