You may be able to get help with your rent if you are on a low income or getting certain benefits.
You will no longer be able to claim Housing Benefit unless:
- You live in temporary/specified accommodation
(for example, accommodation provided by our homeless department or where care, support and/or supervision is provided by, or on behalf of, your landlord)
- You are of
Pension Credit age
(if you are a couple then at least one of you must be of Pension Credit age and this person must be the applicant)
- You have three or more children
You will need to apply for Universal Credit for help with your rent if you do not meet any of these criteria.
You may be able to get help if:
- you are the person responsible for paying the rent on a low income
- you have savings of less than £16,000
- you are receiving income support, Jobseeker's Allowance or Pension Credits
- you are a student with special circumstances
Apply for housing benefit
(can't apply online using mobile devices)
You'll need to provide information on:
- your identity
- any income you receive
- any savings you have
- your national insurance number
- the same information for a partner
- details of anyone else living in your house
You can also call 030 33 33 3006 or visit a Customer Service Centre to apply.
What happens next
We aim to deal with applications within 14 days of receiving all relevant information.
We'll backdate payments to the Monday after you applied if you're successful.
Unhappy with our decision
We have a review process for housing benefit applicants who are not happy with the decision about their application.
Tell us about a change
You should always let us know if your address or circumstances change for any reason.
You can also:
- Call 030 33 33 3006
- Visit one of our Customer Service Centres
- Write to Benefits, Carruthers House, English Street, Dumfries, DG1 2HP
Depending on your situation you may also find help and support from other services. You can find out who might help you locally by using find my nearest and choosing Housing Support Outreach Services.