Community care grants
We manage community care grants from the Scottish Welfare Fund to allow people to live independently, or continue to live independently, preventing the need for institutional care.
A community care grant may help if you're in receipt of a low income and:
- you're about to leave care, hospital or have been in prison
- you face going into care because you don't have the things you need to continue living at home
- you're struggling to provide a safe and secure home for your family
- you need help to get some important things like a cooker or a bed
The help you may receive will depend on your circumstances. Successful applicants will receive goods such as fridges, washing machines, furniture or carpets which will be delivered and installed.
We can only provide items that are of a high priority need to your or your family. This applies if:
- your need is judged to be immediate and severe
- you or your family are considered to be highly vulnerable
- what you have asked for will have a substantial or immediate ongoing impact in resolving or improving your health and wellbeing
- there will be significant adverse consequences if the item is not provided
You may still get help even if you have some income or already receive benefits.
How to apply
We aim to contact you with a decision within 15 working days.
You'll need to provide:
- your name
- your address (if you have one)
- an up-to-date telephone number (we'll contact you by phone)
- some details about your situation
We are currently unable to take applications over the phone. If you can't apply online then you can:
You may also ask your Support Worker to apply online on your behalf.Oh h
The fastest way is to apply for a grant online, free access to the internet is available in some of our local facilities if need be.
We aim to process your application within a further 15 working days after we receive it. You can check the progress of your application if we haven't contacted you within the 15 working days. Call 030 33 33 3000.
Unhappy with our decision
We have a review process if you're not happy with the decision about your application.