Council tax -
annual notices being issued

Data protection

We may hold some of your personal information if you've provided it when using our services. We comply with data protection law to protect your details

Lots of our services rely on personal details that you supply. This may include your:

  • name and address
  • date of birth
  • ethnic background
  • health records

We are registered as a data controller with the Information Commissioner's Office. Our registration describes the information we process and how we process it:

The Data Protection Act controls how we handle the personal information we hold. We have a legal duty to follow eight key principles and make sure the information is:

  • used fairly and lawfully
  • used for limited, specifically stated purposes
  • used in a way that is adequate, relevant and not excessive
  • accurate and up to date
  • kept for no longer than is absolutely necessary
  • handled according to people's data protection rights
  • kept safe and secure
  • not transferred outside the UK without adequate protection

Request your information

The Data Protection Act also gives you the right to find out what information we hold about you. There is a £10 charge to cover the cost of providing information to you.

Requests need to be made in writing and you'll have to provide some form of identification. You also need to provide written proof that you've got permission to request information if you're making a request on behalf of someone else.

There are a couple of ways to submit a request:

We've developed forms to help you make a valid request and get a better idea of the information we need. You don't have to use these forms if you don't want to.

We have 40 days to respond once we receive a valid request and payment.

Correcting your information

You can write to us if you think the information we hold about you is incorrect. You'll need to explain why you think it's wrong and ask for it to be corrected. We might ask for further proof of identity or supporting evidence.

We'll either update our records if we agree that the information is incorrect or add a note to say that you disagree with our version of the data.

Page last updated: 20/10/2017
email icon print icon Bookmark and Share