Year of Young People 2018
Lots of exciting things will be happening to celebrate the Year of Young People 2018 in Dumfries and Galloway.
The Year of Young People (YOYP) aims to inspire Scotland through its young people by celebrating their achievements, valuing their contribution to communities and creating opportunities for them to shine.
YOYP is something everyone aged 8 to 26 can support. Events under six YOYP themes will be held across the region during 2018:
- Health and Well-being
- Equality and Discrimination
- Enterprise and Regeneration
Events are free to attend and aimed at a wide variety of interests and age groups.
- LGBT National Youth Gathering - Dumfries, Thursday 12 to Sunday 15 April
National gathering to celebrate LGBT Young people from across Scotland and support the development of LGBT Youth social action programme.
- 66th Scottish Youth Parliament Sitting - Stranraer, Saturday 9 and Sunday 10 June
We'll be hosting a sitting of the national Youth Parliament in our region for the first time.
- Youth Beatz Festival - Dumfries, Saturday 23 June to Sunday 1 July
Scotland's largest free youth music and education event including The Toon and Fringe.
- Duke of Edinburgh Award (DofE) Event - Kirkcudbright, from Monday 17 to Friday 21 September
Leadership and skills development residential for young people from across Scotland involved in DofE.
- Moving Forward Together - Newton Stewart Saturday 27 October
Regional gathering of adults working or volunteering with young people to develop new collaborations and sharing of good practice.
- YOYP Closing Event - Dumfries, Thursday 6 December
Final celebration of young people's achievements over 2018 and announcing the results of 10,000 voices.
10,000 Voices consultation
10,000 Voices is an exercise which will collect the views of young people aged 10 to 25. We'll be looking for your views on the issues impacting you and your perceptions of the communities in which you live.
10,000 Voices will run throughout 2018 at YOYP events, at community based provision and in our local secondary, higher and further education centres.
The findings will be announced at the closing event in December 2018.
- Email YOYP2018@dumgal.gov.uk
- Call 01387 260243