The Stewartry Sports Council hosts an annual awards ceremony which recognises the achievements of sports people and teams in the area.
Each year the public are asked to nominate boys, girls, men, women and teams from the Stewartry who have excelled in their specific sports during the last year.
Nominations cover a variety of categories:
- Sports Personality of the Year, sponsored by the Galloway News: This category is open to any person living in, or originally from, the Stewartry who has achieved success at local, national or international level
- Junior Sports Personality of the Year, sponsored by Scottish Co-operative: This category is open to anyone under the age of 18 who is living in the Stewartry.
- Team of the year, sponsored by BSW Timber, Dalbeattie: This award is open to any team that plays in or represents the Stewartry in any sport and any age level.
- Coach/Administrator of the Year, sponsored by Drew Low, Castle Douglas: This prize is open to someone who has shown dedication or success in coaching or providing the administrative back-up to a club or individual in the past year.
- Outstanding Achievement at Club Level: This is open to teams or individuals who have demonstrated an achievement or performance at a local or national level which is worthy of recognition. There are two categories: Junior section which is sponsored by J Smith Fencing and Senior section which is sponsored by H Smith and Sons.
- Newcomer to Sport award, sponsored by Helen Bell: This is open to any club, team or individual who has recently (in the past three years) taken up a new sport and met with success.
- Service to Sport award, sponsored by the Scottish Association of Local Sports Councils: Open to any individual coach/administrator for their voluntary contribution to sport over a lengthy period of time.
Nominating someone is simple. Just write your reasons for choosing the person or team on a piece of paper, clearly marking the category you are nominating them for. Also include contact details for yourself and your nominee.
Nominations can also be e-mailed to Mark.Adams@dumgal.gov.uk or posted to Stewartry Sports Council Sports Awards, Community Centre, Cotton Street, Castle Douglas, DG7 1AJ.
The Committee assess all nominations and select winners in each award category. Trophies are presented to the winners at the annual ceremony.
Award Winners 2012
The 2012 Stewartry Sports Council Awards Ceremony took place on Friday 16 November at the The Urr Valley Country House Hotel, Castle Douglas. The winners were:
Newcomer to Sport Award (Sponsor - Helen Bell)
Winner: Eilidh Thomson (Aquathlon)
Nominated: Michael Syme (Horse Riding)
Team of the Year (Sponsors- Howie Forest Products)
Winner: Dalbeattie Star FC (Football)
Nominated: Threave Rovers U17's (Football)
Coach of the Year (Sponsor - Drew Low, Castle Douglas)
Winner: Jamie Heuchan (Swimming)
Nominated: Paul Laurie (Football), Raymond Gallagher/Kenny Shanks (Football), Pamela Watson (Golf)
Outstanding Achievement - Junior (Sponsor - J. Smith Fencing)
Winner: Connor Henderson (Ice Hockey)
Nominated: Rhiannon Curran (Rugby), David McMath (Clay Pigeon Shooting), Sam Hodson (Swimming), Polly Henderson (Cycling)
Outstanding Achievement Award - Adult (Sponsor - H. Smith & Sons)
Winner: Faith Sinclair (Squash)
Nominated: Lee Lower (Wheelchair Athletics), Sheila Watson (Horse Riding), Joanna Muir (Modern Pentathlon), Andy Webster/Stuart McIntosh (Dalbeattie Hardrock)
Junior Sports Personality of the Year (Sponsor - Scottish Co-operative)
Winner: David McMath (Clay Pigeon Shooting)
Nominated: Rhiannon Curran (Rugby), Connor Henderson (Ice Hockey), Sam Hodson (Swimming), Polly Henderson (Cycling)
Sports Personality of the Year (Sponsor - The Galloway News)
Winner: Joanna Muir (Modern Pentathlon)
Nominated: Lee Lower (Wheelchair Athletics), Faith Sinclair (Squash), Sheila Watson (Horse Riding)