Home Page > Social care and health > Help for Adults > Occupational Therapy Service

Occupational Therapy Service

Occupational Therapy means all the activities a person undertakes, values and enjoys, from getting out of bed, taking a bath, to going to work and taking part in sport and leisure. When people are unable to carry out everyday occupations that are important to them, their health and wellbeing may be affected.

Often life can be improved without the need for lots of equipment or adaptations. Alternative techniques can be taught for getting in and out of your home, around your house and up and down the stairs or getting on and off the toilet and in and out of bed or bath.

For each area of difficulty there is usually more than one possible solution.

What you need to do

Contact your local Occupational Therapy Service by using the contact details below and ask for an occupational therapy assessment, also called a referral.

At this stage you may be offered a pdf icon Self Assessment [561kb]. This service enables you to have equipment or minor adaptations such as rails without the need for a full assessment or a home visit. You can request a word icon Self Assessment leaflet and form [831kb] from any of the offices listed .

What happens next?

If a home visit is necessary, someone will contact you to arrange an appointment. You may wish to ask a Carer, friend, advocate or family member to be present when the visit takes place. 

Once we have identified the difficulties experienced by you or your Carer, together we will work out ways in which these can be resolved.

We will do this by:

  • Providing advice
  • Looking at ways in which everyday tasks can be done differently
  • Lending you a specialist piece of equipment
  • Recommending adaptations or changes to your home 
  • Offering a Carer's Assessment
  • Providing information on the Blue Badge Scheme

We may ask others to help us understand your medical problem such as your GP, physiotherapist or nurse, with your consent.

We also work with local health and housing providers to assess needs and provide appropriate support for specialist equipment, adaptations or re-housing.

What Happens When You No Longer Need Equipment

The Integrated Equipment Service (ICES) will collect and recycle equipment once you no longer need it. Contact 01387 244406

Related Information

Contact Details


Occupational Therapy Service - Annandale and Eskdale

Annan Town Hall
High Street

Tel: 0303 333 3001

Occupational Therapy Service - Newton Stewart

Penninghame Centre
Auchendoon Road
Newton Stewart

Tel: 0303 333 3001


Occupational Therapy Service - Nithsdale

122-124 Irish Street

Tel: 0303 333 3001

Occupational Therapy Service - Stewartry

Gardenhill Primary Care Centre
2 Gardenhill Road
Castle Douglas

Tel: 0303 333 3001


Occupational Therapy Service - Stranraer

Ashwood House
Sun Street

Tel: 0303 333 3001

Contact Dumfries and Galloway Council T: 030 33 33 3000

Council Offices
English Street

Comments, Compliments and Complaints