Putting You First is the name given to a programme for changing how health and social care are provided in Dumfries and Galloway.
NHS Dumfries and Galloway is leading the project. The NHS is working with our Council, third and independent sector partners and representatives of Scottish Government.
Dumfries and Galloway will have increasing numbers of older people as time goes on. We need to work together to find new ways of providing care and support. That way, people will still have services in years to come.
It's not only about sustaining services, it is about putting people and communities at the heart of health and social care. So the services should be:
- Designed around the person
- Delivered as close as home as appropriate
- Safe, high quality, reliable and effective
- Developed closely with our communities
- Delivered in partnership with our Council, third and independent sector
- Making the most of our staff skills and expertise. Developing and maintaining those skills
Putting You First is new. A board was set up in April 2011 to start looking at the changes needed and put a programme together. One of the first steps in the programme was to agree a programme of work that would test change across a test site or pathfinder area with the initial focus being in the East of the Region.
Pathfinder projects have been set up in Langholm and Annan to test new ways of working such as:
- Care planning for the future - this is anticipating people's needs which can, for example, help people avoid unnecessary hospital stays
- Intensive support for people coming out of hospital. For example the Short Term Augmented Response Service (STARS). This support can help people ton regain their independence and lessen reliance on home care
- Working together with partners to deliver care and support where people live
- Use technology to deliver more services. This could reduce staff and patient travel.
- Maximising the use of our buildings and resources across the community.
- Promote greater health and wellbeing
If you want to know more about Putting You First go to: www.puttingyoufirst.org.uk; you can email: email@example.com or Telephone: 01387 272752.