Home Page > Council and government > Our council > Councillors > Members' Allowances & Expenses

Members' Allowances & Expenses

The Local Government (Allowances and Expenses) (Scotland) Regulations 2007 as amended, require the Council to keep a record of payments made to Members and to publish the information for the preceding financial year (1 April to 31 March) by 1 June.

Dumfries and Galloway Council adopted a pdf icon Scheme for Administration of Member Remuneration, Expenses and Travel [273kb].

The Council is required to make information on councillors' remuneration and expenses available for inspection at council offices when requested to do so in writing by a member of the public. It would be for that person to consider at which Council office they would wish see the information.

Members' expense claim forms are scanned and made available on the Council website on the 15th of each month (relating to the previous month).

Published expenses

Annual expensesMonthly expenses (for last 12 months)
pdf icon 2014/15 [55kb]October 2015
pdf icon 2013/14 [89kb]September 2015
pdf icon 2012/13 [46kb]August 2015
pdf icon 2011/12 [47kb]July 2014
pdf icon 2010/11 [47kb]June 2015
pdf icon 2009/10 [45kb]May 2015
pdf icon 2008/09 [15kb]April 2015
pdf icon 2007/08 [45kb]March 2015
pdf icon 2006/07 [42kb]February 2015
January 2015
December 2014
November 2014


Under the Local Governance (Scotland) Act 2004 (Remuneration) Regulations 2007 as amended, there are four levels of remuneration payments for Councillors, depending on the responsibilities of the Councillor. These are the Leader of the Council, Depute Leader of the Council, Senior Councillor and Councillor.

A Senior Councillor is a Councillor who holds a position of significant position of responsibility in the Council's Political Management Structure.

All other Councillors, other than the Leader of the Council and the Depute Leader of the Council will receive the basic remuneration as prescribed by the Regulations. Remuneration is subject to income tax and national insurance deductions.

Travel and Subsistence

These expenses are paid at rates determined by Regulation. Councillors may claim costs incurred when travelling on approved duties.

The total amount of these payments will vary from Councillor to Councillor, depending on a number of factors. These factors include the distance that they live from Council Headquarters (which affects the amount of travelling required to attend the meetings of the Council), the area covered by their Ward and whether they represent the Council on external bodies such as COSLA.

Telephone and ICT Expenses

The Council provides elected members with mobiles and broadband facilities to enable them to carry out Council business. Such costs are met directly by the Council but require to be published as a cost to the Councillor.

Related Information

Contact Details


Legal and Regulatory

Council Offices
English Street

Tel: 01387 260035 or 01387 260039
Fax: 01387 260034

Contact Dumfries and Galloway Council T: 030 33 33 3000

Council Offices
English Street

Comments, Compliments and Complaints