Leader Accreditation Scheme (LAS)

How to become a Dumfries and Galloway Council regionally accredited leader, in adventure activities.

If you choose to lead young people or adults in an Adventure Activity you have a responsibility to them to have adequate personal competence and sufficient experience to ensure their safety. You must accordingly train and be assessed in that activity to an appropriate level.

Anyone wishing to lead train or supervise Adventure Activities for Dumfries and Galloway Council must apply to the Outdoor Education Service. This includes holders of NGB qualifications.

You can pdf icon download full details of the Leader Accreditation Scheme [704kb]. This document includes details of the experience required, minimum requirements, training and assessment.

Holders of NGB awards should:

  • Hold and maintain a current NGB qualification and membership where appropriate.
  • Submit log book for scrutiny to show current experience.
  • Hold and maintain a current and valid first aid certificate.
  • Attend a Guidelines session.
  • Complete a child protection course delivered by an accredited body.
  • Where appropriate have a member of Outdoor Education Service observe you in the delivery of session in your chosen discipline.
  • Obtain enhanced PVG membership through Dumfries and Galloway Council. 

Non holders of NGB should:

  • Attend a training course.
  • Attend a guidelines session.
  • Attend an assessment.
  • Present a valid first aid certificate at assessment.
  • Complete a child protection course delivered by an accredited body.
  • Obtain enhanced disclosure through Dumfries and Galloway Council.

Guidelines for Off-Site Safety

Please note, all excursions must only be undertaken after reference to the .

Any leader must, adhere to and agree to work within the Guidelines for Off-Site Safety.

Related Information

Contact Details


Outdoor Education

Carlingwark Outdoor Centre
Lochside Park
Castle Douglas

Tel: 01556 505916
Email this contact

Contact Dumfries and Galloway Council T: 030 33 33 3000

Council Offices
English Street

Comments, Compliments and Complaints