Home Page > Housing > Private Sector Housing > Private Landlords

Private Landlords

As part of a National Registration Scheme, private landlords must first of all Register themselves and their properties with their local Council. This Register can be viewed on-line at Landlord Registration Scotland.

It is an offence to let out a residential property if that property has not been registered.

Registering as a Landlord - to register you can:

For further details on the Register of Private Landlords in Dumfries & Galloway, please see contact details below or visit the Landlord Registration Scotland website.

Private landlords must also take responsibility under Part 7 of the Antisocial Behaviour etc (Scotland) Act 2004, for the behaviour of their tenants, and in the most serious of cases, may be served with a formal Antisocial Behaviour Notice by the Council, requiring them to do so. Failure to carry out the terms of an Antisocial Behaviour Notice is a criminal offence.

An important part of this requirement, introduced by Part 8 of the Antisocial Behaviour etc (Scotland) Act 2004, is the need for the local authority to satisfy itself that the applicant landlord is a fit and proper person.

Dumfries and Galloway Council operate an enhanced fit and proper test for Landlord Registration. Decisions pertinent to these matters have been delegated to officers to make assessments and that, in certain circumstances, the fit and proper person test can be applied retrospectively.

Registration lasts for a period of 3 years. It is the landlord's responsibility to ensure their registration is renewed timeously. This can be done within the three month period preceding the expiry date. Notification by the Council that a registration is due to expire is not a requirement, however as a matter of courtesy we endeavour to make contact prior to the expiry date using the contact information contained within the register. It is the responsibility of the landlord to ensure that their contact details are kept accurate and up-to-date as changes occur. Failure to renew will result in a late application fee of £110, and a Rent Penalty Notice being served as an unregistered landlord.

Download this form to Notify us of an unregistered property

Related Information

Contact Details


HMO Licensing and Landlord Registration

Ailsa House
Sun Street

Tel: 01776 888411
Email this contact

HMO Licensing and Landlord Registration

Municipal Chambers
Buccleuch Street

Tel: 01387 273164
Email this contact

Contact Dumfries and Galloway Council T: 030 33 33 3000

Council Offices
English Street

Comments, Compliments and Complaints