Her Majesty appoints a Lord-Lieutenant for each county in England and Wales and each area in Scotland. The fundamental principle concerning the Office of Lord-Lieutenant is that he is Her Majesty's representative in his area.
The Lord-Lieutenant is supported by the Vice Lord-Lieutenant and Deputy Lieutenants. The Lieutenancy is administered by the Clerk to the Lieutenancy.
Duties Carried Out by Each Lieutenancy
- Arranging visits of members of the Royal Family and escorting Royal visitors as appropriate
- Presentation of Medals and Awards on behalf of Her Majesty
- Arranging Royal Messages of Congratulation for the following anniversaries only:- Diamond Wedding (60th), 65th, 70th and each succeeding anniversary thereafter 100th Birthday; 105th Birthday and every year thereafter.
The Lord-Lieutenant may be asked to undertake the presentation of these messages
- Royal Garden Parties - each year the Lord-Lieutenant is asked to submit a list of names of those residing in his county / area whom he would recommend for invitations to Her Majesty's Garden Party at Holyroodhouse
- Nominations for Honours - Nomination Forms for those to be considered for Honours are available from Lieutenancy offices (detailed below) as well as direct from the Honours Secretariat, Scottish Government, 3D South, Victoria Quay, Edinburgh, EH6 6QQ and (b) Cabinet Office, Honours and Appointments Secretariat, Ground Floor, Admiralty Arch, London, SW1A 2WH. Lord-Lieutenants may be asked to support nominations
Further information on this subject is covered by our Lieutenancy FAQ's.
Lord Lieutenants and Clerks for Dumfries and Galloway
Lieutenancy of Dumfries
Area of former Districts of Nithsdale and Annandale and Eskdale
Her Majesty's Lord-Lieutenant Mrs Jean D Tulloch
Clerk - Mrs Alison Quigley
Lieutenancy of the Stewartry of Kirkcudbright
Area of former District of Stewartry
Her Majesty's Lord-Lieutenant - Lt Colonel Sir Malcolm Ross GCVO OBE
Clerk - Mrs Hazel Kerr
Lieutenancy of Wigtown
Area of former District of Wigtown
Her Majesty's Lord-Lieutenant - John A Ross CBE
Clerk - Mrs Julia Farroll