Home Page > Transport and streets > Parking > Disabled parking (blue badge) > Frequently Asked Questions about Blue Badges

Frequently Asked Questions about Blue Badges

  • Q: Can I have a temporary Blue Badge?

    A: You may be eligible, if you are unable to walk or virtually unable to walk because of a temporary but substantial disability which is likely to last for a period of at least 12 months but less than 3 years.

  • Q: Can I use any of the disabled parking bays if I have a Blue Badge?

    A: If you have a Blue Badge you can use any of the disabled parking bays marked. Even if a parking bay appears to have been created and provided for a specific individual it does not stop others from parking in it if it is vacant.

  • Q: Can I use my Blue Badge abroad?

    A: Yes. The Blue Badge can be used in any EU country. If you are travelling to the Americas or Australia we suggest you contact the relevant Embassy for information.

  • Q: Can I use the badge when I run errands for a Blue Badge holder?

    A: No. If you do not have a walking difficulty yourself you should not park in a disabled space or use someone else's badge even if you are running an errand for them.

  • Q: I need to fill out a new form every time I want to re-apply for a Blue Badge?

    A: Yes, you need to fill out a new form every time you want to re-apply for a Blue Badge.

  • Q: Does everyone have to provide photographs to accompany their application?

    A: Almost everyone must submit a passport sized colour photo with their application for a Blue Badge. The photograph can either be digital or the photo can be scanned and uploaded. The digital photograph is integral to the Blue Badge and will also be stored on the national database for identification and enforcement purposes. The only people who may not need to supply a photograph are applicants who have a terminal illness and are not expected to live longer than six months.

  • Q: How do I display my Blue Badge?

    A: You must display the badge on top of the dash board or facial panel of a vehicle with the front of the badge facing forward so that the relevant details are legible from outside of the vehicle when the vehicle is parked.

  • Q: How long does the Blue Badge last?

    A: The badge lasts up to a maximum of 3 years. Then you must re-apply for a new one.

  • Q: How long will it take for me to receive my Blue Badge?

    A: If your application is successful your Blue Badge will be posted to you from the central Blue Badge point in the UK. The Blue Badge is posted 2nd class and will take up to 5 working days to reach you. Local Social Work offices are no longer able to format and issue Blue Badges.

  • Q: How much does it cost for a Blue Badge?

    A: A Blue Badge does not currently cost you anything in Dumfries and Galloway.

  • Q: I have a Blue Disabled Parking Badge and neighbours consistently park in front of my property. What can I do?

    A: There is no law that allows you to reserve a parking space right outside your property. You have to rely on the courtesy of your neighbours. If appropriate you could discuss the problems you have with your mobility and ask your neighbours politely if they could leave you a space close to your own property. If you find that other people park outside your property, a sign advising that space is needed due to you having a disability may encourage people to find an alternative place to park. You may need permission from the Council to erect a sign.

  • Q: If I have a Blue Badge can I park anywhere?

    A: No, the badge is not a licence to park anywhere. Details of any restrictions in force will be shown on signs at the kerb-side. You can usually park on single yellow lines (if there are no loading/unloading restrictions) and in parking bays. Please refer to the leaflet 'Rights and Responsibilities of a Blue Badge Holder' in external links.

  • Q: What benefits do you have to be receiving to automatically qualify for a Blue Badge?

    A: To qualify automatically for a Blue Badge, you must be claiming either the higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance; claiming War Pensioners Mobility Supplement; be Blind (severely sight impaired) or receive an award under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS) under tariffs 1 to 8 and have been certified as having a permanent and substantial difficulty which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking.

  • Q: What do I do if my Blue Badge is lost, stolen or faded?

    A: You must contact us to request a replacement and advise the police.

  • Q: What should I do if I can't get to a photo booth to get a picture taken for my application?

    A: The photograph you submit must be in accordance with passport standards and in colour. If you are unable to get to a photo booth a physical photograph can be scanned and uploaded into your application by the Social Work office. There is also the facility called "Telly Talk" in Stranraer library and Ewart library, Dumfries. Using Telly Talk, digital photographs can be taken and documents scanned at no cost to you. The "Telly Talk" unit will link you directly with the Council's Contact Centre. This development will be expanded to Newton Stewart and Lockerbie libraries during 2013. The only people who do not need to supply a photograph are applicants who have a terminal illness and are not expected to live longer than six months.

  • Q: What should I do with the Blue Badge for someone who has died?

    A: All badges must be handed into the local Social Work Services Office so that the badge can be deleted from our system and the national database and destroyed.

Related Information

Contact Details


Social Work Services - Annandale and Eskdale

Annan Town Hall
High Street
DG12 6AQ

Tel: 030 33 33 3001

Social Work Services - Newton Stewart

Penninghame Centre
Auchendoon Road
Newton Stewart

Tel: 030 33 33 3001


Social Work Services - Nithsdale (Dumfries)

122-124 Irish Street

Tel: 030 33 33 3001

Social Work Services - Nithsdale (Kelloholm)

Millhill Centre
Corserigg Crescent

Tel: 030 33 33 3001


Social Work Services - Stewartry

Gardenhill Primary Care Centre
2 Garden Hill Road
Castle Douglas

Tel: 030 33 33 3001

Social Work Services - Stranraer

Ashwood House
Sun Street

Tel: 030 33 33 3001

External Links

Contact Dumfries and Galloway Council T: 030 33 33 3000

Council Offices
English Street

Comments, Compliments and Complaints