This lead papal bulla was found in St Cuthbert's Cemetery in Kirkcudbright during the 19th century, and donated to The Stewartry Museum in 1880. It would have been attached to an official church document as a mark of authenticity, rather like a seal.
This is a typical bulla with the faces of St Peter and St Paul on one side, and the name of the Pope on the other - in this case Pope Clement II. From this, the bulla can be dated to 1040.
The find spot is significant, since the site of the 8th century Northumbrian minster church lies in St Cuthbert's Cemetery. It seems likely that the bulla came from a document or record held in that important church. Recently a bulla of Pope Honorius IV was found in the archaeological excavations at Buittle Castle, near Dalbeattie.
In the collection of The Stewartry Museum, Kirkcudbright.