This is a silver model of an 18 pounder field gun of the standard type used by the Royal Field Artillery in the First World War, together with a wooden casket that serves as a base. A former Provost, Walter Wallace, gave it to the Burgh of Kirkcudbright to commemorate the Kirkcudbright men killed in the First World War.
The choice of a model field gun is particularly appropriate since many Kirkcudbright men served in the Artillery. From 1908, the town had been a recruiting area for the volunteer 2nd Lowland (Ayr and Kirkcudbright) Artillery Brigade.
At the outbreak of the war the Kirkcudbright Battery was quickly assembled, and based at Larbert near Falkirk. In 1915 the battery was sent to Egypt, where it took part in the defence of the Suez Canal and the eventual advance against the Turkish army to Jerusalem.
In the collection of The Stewartry Museum, Kirkcudbright.